Lame duck started this week.
Buckle up, folks!
LAME DUCKS: elected officials in their final period of office, after the election of their successors.
Lame ducks in Michigan are using the time they have left to exercise their power without the fear of consequences! We need to speak up against these bills and demand politicians follow the will of the people!
PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES ABOUT THIS LEGISLATION! Bills are passing quickly!
Make your calls ASAP!
WE WILL NOT BE SITTING DUCKS!
- 400,000 signatures were gathered to put a minimum wage increase and mandatory paid sick time from employers in Michigan on the ballot
- The initiative was adopted in September 2018 and removed from the ballot to avoid a public vote in the general election
- THIS WEEK, State Republicans in the Senate GUTTED the bills including
- Removing tipped workers (servers, bartenders, etc.) from the wage increase
- Prolonging the minimum wage increase from 2022 to 2030
- Minimum wage for hourly employees will go from $9.25 to $12.00
- Minimum wage for tipped employees will go from $3.52 to $4.00
- They called to reduce the required paid sick time in half from 72 hours to 36 hours
- SB 1171 is sitting on Governor Snyder’s desk. Demand he veto SB 1171! Call Today 517-335-7858!
TELEMEDICINE BAN FOR MEDICAL ABORTION
- Michigan currently has a ban on telemedicine for medical abortion that is about to expire. This bill would make the ban permanent
- This bill would disproportionally affect pregnant people in rural areas because 89% of Michigan counties are without an abortion provider
- Due to the dwindling number of abortion providers, this ban could eliminate access to abortion in many parts of Michigan
- THIS BILL IS AWAITING A HOUSE VOTE! CALL YOUR MICHIGAN HOUSE REP TODAY AND DEMAND A NO VOTE ON SB 1198! House switchboard 517-373-6914
INCREASING “VICTIM COUNT” IN CRIMES COMMITTED BY AND AGAINST PREGNANT PEOPLE
- A fetus or embryo is recognized and defined in the criminal code as a victim of a crime
- This would increase penalties of low level crimes committed by pregnant people
- Sets a precedent of fetuses as people that can be used to criminalize abortion in the future
- THIS BILL IS AWAITING A SENATE VOTE! CALL YOUR MICHIGAN SENATORS AND DEMAND A NO VOTE ON HB 4500! Senate switchboard 517-373-2400
- These bills are a behind-the-scenes effort from Michigan’s GOP to limit the power of incoming officials elected by the citizens of Michigan.
- SB 1250 would remove the power of campaign finance oversight from incoming Secretary of State, Jocelyn Benson.
- HB 6553 would allow the legislature (a.k.a House Republicans) equal standing with the Attorney General in regards to lawsuits
- Michigan’s GOP is attempting to pass these bills in secret to go against the will of the people
- CALL YOUR REPRESENTATIVES AND TELL THEM TO STOP RESTRICTING THE POWER OF OFFICIALS CHOSEN BY THE PEOPLE FOR CHANGE!
- House switchboard 517-373-6914
- Senate switchboard 517-373-2400
STAND UP AND MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD! YOUR REPRESENTATIVES EXERCISE WORK FOR THE PEOPLE!